Monday, October 25, 2010

Onwards and Upwards

Hayley suggested we write one blog about where we’ve been and one about where we’re going. I’m looking forward to the future and the next steps in my writing career and I’d like to share them with you.

I’m very excited to announce that I have a new novella coming out from The Wild Rose Press on January 5, 2011. Flawless is set during World War Two in occupied France. Here’s a blurb:

France, 1942. The Nazis have stolen the infamous blue diamond, Le Coeur Bleu, intending to barter it for weapons that will destroy the Allies. Jewel thief Hunter Smith is given a choice; help the French Resistance steal back the diamond and avenge the death of his best friend, or stay locked up in an English prison. He chooses revenge.

Resistance fighter Madeleine Bertrand’s husband died when he was betrayed by Hunter Smith. How can she now pretend to be married to the arrogant American? How can she betray Jean Philippe’s memory with her passionate response to Hunter’s kisses? Neither is prepared for the maelstrom of attraction that erupts between them. To survive they must uncover the mysteries of the past and conquer the dangers of the present. But first Madeleine must decide if her loyalties lie with her dead husband and the Resistance or with the greatest love of her life.

And if I want to sell lots of copies of Flawless as well as my other books, I need to do some serious promotion. I'm currently working on a Facebook Page. It's definitely a work in progress, but I'd love you stop by and "like" me. I also want to get familiar with Twitter. I’ll be going back to Hayley’s excellent article in Prairie Chicks about Twitter in order to get myself in gear. And I’m not done with blogging yet either. My new blog on my website entitled Jana’s Journey goes live November 1. It’ll be about my life as a writer, a mother and wife, an admin assistant, a cook, a baker, a candlestick maker. Along with articles on writing topics and the writing life, I’ll have musings about life in general. I’ve got some serious juggling to do and I’ll talk about it at www.janarichards.net/blog-jana-s-journey

As far as writing projects go, I’m currently working on a submission for The Wild Rose Press’s Class of ’85 series. This series follows the adventures of Summerville High School’s graduating class of 1985 as they meet for a reunion in their hometown. I hope you have a look at the stories that have already been released in this series, because it’s a load of fun. My novella length manuscript is called “The Girl Most Likely”. Cara McLeod knows her life has not turned out the way she thought it would back in high school when she was voted “the girl most likely to have the perfect marriage.” She’s now divorced and in her words feels “fat, frumpy, and over forty”. The last thing she wants to do is to face her old classmates, and her ex-husband, at the Summerville High reunion. When she’s cajoled into attending by her daughters and her best friend, she vows that she’s going to shape up and lose a few pounds in the six weeks until the reunion. She enlists the help of personal trainer Finn Cooper, who thinks that Cara is beautiful just the way she is. Now Finn must convince Cara how wonderful she really is, and how right they are for each other.

Okay, my blurb hasn’t yet been perfected; this is my first stab at it. I’ve finished a rough first draft and Janet has generously consented to critique the story for me. I’m excited to move forward with this project. Wish me luck!

As far as other projects, my goal is to finish unfinished projects in 2011 (FYI: this was my goal in January 2010. Better late then never.) Two stories that I pitched at the 2009 conference in Surrey await completion. I even have names of agents to send them to! I’m not quite sure what I’m waiting for. But I swear I’ll finish at least one of them in 2011.

I’d also love to write a magazine article or two in 2011. At the very least, I’d like to figure out if writing articles for magazines and/or ezines would be profitable enough to quit my day job. Lots to do and to discover in the year ahead.

And so we come to the end of the Prairie Chicks. Thankfully we’ll live on in the articles and posts we have archived here. But I think all of us are looking forward to new projects and new challenges as we make our way in this writing life.

Goodbye from this Chick. I’ll see you soon at http://www.janarichards.net/

9 comments:

Janet said...

First off - what a fabulous cover for Flawless!! And the blurb turned out really well - congrats, Jana.

Second - I'm honored to read your work and assure you that I am working on it (life is crazy right now). You'll get it back soon.

Can't wait to read your blog! Have you decided to post every day? And good luck with Twitter - maybe I'll get around to doing more than just creating an account!

I know, Jana, that you will be successful in your journey. Your dedication and determination will get you far. You already know how much I admire your goal-setting and committment! It has been a pleasure working on The Prairies with you - and "Onwards and Upwards", indeed!

Happy Writing :)

Caroline Clemmons said...

Jana, sorry to see the Prairie Chicks go, but happy that you are all moving forward. Best of luck in your career.

Karyn Good said...

Oh! I'm so excited about Flawless and can't wait to read it! Loved the cover!

Looking forward to reading your blog and seeing you on Twitter.

And can I just say that I think you would rock at writing magazine articles and e-articles. You have the knack for breaking things down and explaining it a way that's easy to understand and enjoyable to read.

Good Luck! And see you around the blog-o-verse!

Jana Richards said...

Hi Janet,
I really appreciate you reading "The Girl Most Likely" for me. The editor is closing the series for submission on December 31 so I'll have to do revisions PDQ.

I'm going to try to do a blog 3 times a week and see how it goes. It will depend on how hectic life gets, I guess.

As far as Twitter goes, I'm waiting for a bit on that one. I'm still trying to figure out Facebook and get comfortable with that.

Talk to you soon!
Jana

Jana Richards said...

Hi Caroline,
I hope you can drop by my new blog on November 1st at www.janarichards.net I plan to do stuff about my life in general, but I'm still going to have "writerly" type posts as well, with information for writers.

Cheers!
Jana

Jana Richards said...

Hi Karen,
I'm pretty proud about how "Flawless" turned out. Nan Swanson at The Wild Rose Press is an awesome editor. She really made me work for it, but the finished product shows our diligence.

Might take me a while to get on Twitter. My brain is still on overload with the new blog and Facebook. Steam is starting to come out of my ears!

Thanks for your kinds words about the articles I've written for Prairie Chicks. Magazine writing has long been an interest of mine, something I'd really like to pursue.

But for now I must pursue my day job. Back to work!

Jana

Stephanie said...

First of all: Diamonds? and Revenge? Yes Please. I can't wait to read Flawless.

Second of all: What an awe-inspiring post. It's clear you've worked hard at your craft and are continuing to stretch your writing muscles. I'm excited to read your blog about all things writing, candle-stick making and everything in between.

Jana Richards said...

Hi Stephanie,
I do hope you drop by and read my blog. It's exciting to begin something new and different.

And I hope you enjoy "Flawless" as well. I'm pretty proud of the way it turned out.

Keep in touch,
Jana

Anita Mae Draper said...

I agree with the others, your cover for Flawless is superb and the plot exciting.

It sounds like you've got plenty of writing to keep you busy.

I'll be following your writing journey. You're certainly on the right path. :)

Anita.